Perhaps some of you experienced that, Windows 10 automatically removed a program that is known to be not fully compatible with the next major Windows version. It happened with SpyBot – Seek & Destroy e.g. and it also happened with Logitech’s MyHarmony’s Windows version of their app, too.
And once you downloaded and tried to install it, you see the following error:
Run as with administrator privileges? Doesn’t work on MSI files.
I found while googling the solution here: https://www.uc.solutions/Misc/Password_Sync/How_to_Run_.msi_Files_as_Administrator
Given the software has been last updated in 2015 when the first version of Windows 10 has been released and Logitech announcing earlier this year that future production of MyHarmony has been stopped, the possibility they will ever fix this in a future release is very unlikely.
An opened support ticket from October 3rd stays unanswered to this day.
Looking upon the internet, there is no definite manual on how to get it working on Windows 10. Just the usual complains that the copy protection sucks and is the cause of all evil.
Anyway, I am running it on Windows 10 x64 2004 with an Nvidia GeForce 1050Ti with latest Game Ready drivers.
First of all what you need is the Westwood Install Fix as written here
We don’t follow the instructions there as they are not correct.
Instead, we do the following:
- Extract the RAR archive.
- Copy the setup folder from the Installer CD into a directory separated from the later game installation directory (this is important or else the game will fail to run later!)
- Overwrite the old SETUP.EXE with the newer one from the RAR archive.
- Run the Setup.EXE and install the game including all components (the shortcut is not needed) in your desired destination folder for the game to house.
- Overwrite the EXPLORER.EXE from the game’s root folder with the one from the RAR archive.
- Refrain from trying to get the latest patch from Westwood to get the game into its recent stage. The Westwood Patch routine won’t work and will fail with “Update Aborted”
Now enjoy and start EMPORER.EXE to play the game! 😊
4 weeks ago, Creative Labs finally released a new driver package for their old X-Fi soundcard series finally.
(Myself having a Soundblaster X-FI Xtreme Gamer PCI sound card from 2007 myself) so finally the sound output for the analog output can be again selected in Windows 10 X64 1903 and the apps delivered with the driver work again, however some have been removed, so the package just only comes with the following tools:
-Creative Audio Control Panel
-Creative Software AutoUpdate
But better than nothing!
Info source and download URL